Mustang and Me

Mustang

This month Ford premiered their newest generation of the iconic Mustang. The new model introduces a number of improvements to the ever evolving original pony car. Some of those changes will bring back options that were perhaps before their time in other generations. For instance the Mustang will feature an optional turbocharged four cylinder eco-boost engine, a similar concept which first appeared in the SVO Mustang. The car will also now come with an independent rear suspension, a feature seen on some SVT Cobra's in the past. Now obviously these features will be more refined and efficient than their predecessors. However, the history is still there.

Anticipating the new Mustang brought to memory my own history with America's car. I have been the proud owner of two Mustangs from two different generations. These cars helped me to understand the obsession and desire that surrounds these machines. Without further fuss, here are some musings on older Mustangs.

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0

My first Mustang was a 1990 LX with a 5.0 V8. For those less initiated with the cult of the fox body, a 5.0 LX is the same as the GT without the fantastic 80's body kit. This car was quick for its age and by far the most customized vehicle that I have owned to date. I would like to argue that my modifications were tasteful, but I'm not here to boast of the many merits of white pony wheels. The short list of the modifications includes Flowmaster exhaust, subframe connectors, K&N intake, Autometer gauges and some crappy aftermarket stereo to listen to through crappy factory speakers. I owned this Mustang for a couple years and sold it for less than the money I put into it. Doesn't that always seem to be the case? After a brief hiatus in a PT Cruiser (dark times indeed) I thankfully procured my next Mustang

2005 Mustang GT

I'll just start off by saying that yellow was probably not best color choice. I bought this car right when this generation was hitting dealerships, so color selection was limited slightly. Searing yellow paintwork aside, this beast had the options I wanted. Including the most important option of all, a manual transmission. This car was loud, fast and built to exceptional standards of quality ( except for that trim piece on the door that popped off after I left the lot). Alas I grew tired of the color and sold her after about one year.

This walk down memory lane is to make a point about the enduring value of all Mustangs (except the Mustang II of course) to their owners and America as a whole. The Mustang is an icon because nearly everybody has a personal experience with one. Be that through ownership or constantly seeing them all over the roadways of America. I'm rooting for the success of the 2015 Mustang here and it's new markets across the globe.

Mustang

Mustang

Mustang

Mustang

Mustang

Mustang

Mustang

Mustang

0 comments:

Post a Comment